Monday, May 07, 2007

Ah, Air-Conditioning

Ever since I started this almost vegan project, I have been thinking a lot about my impact on the environment. As I talked about just after Earth Day, I hate the idea that you would only do one thing for the good of the environment that we live in, and I have been trying to think of other ways I can live green. One of the things I have been looking at is my use of electricity. So, as the weather has started to get hotter, I have been trying to resist the siren call of air conditioning. I have ceiling fans, and I have been changing into shorts and tank tops when I get home from work. It’s been getting cool at night, so it hasn’t been too bad.

The big problem is, I live on the third floor. These methods weren’t going to work for very long. Finally, tonight, I realized that I could be fairly comfortable only if I sat perfectly still under the fans. My kitchen needed cleaning, but trying to stand at the kitchen sink doing dishes resulted in a steady drip of sweat off my nose, into the soapy water. That didn’t seem very sanitary to me, so I gave up on my battle to keep the a/c off. I really wanted to turn it on last week, so I guess I did hold out for a while, but I just couldn’t take it anymore! Oh well, I’ll keep looking for other green methods that fit into my life better.

For dinner tonight, we had pizza with For Your Heart Vegan Mozzarella. The girl shredded the cheese, and she put a LOT of cheese on the pizza. We had used this cheese before and liked it, but this time we used a lot more, and it tasted a lot more like cow milk cheese, for some reason. It tasted really good when I was eating it, but when I was done with a slice, I felt a little queasy. I know that it doesn’t have any dairy, but when it tastes so much like it does, it’s hard to convince my taste buds that everything will be all right. What a criticism, huh? Your fake cheese is too much like real cheese!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.