Sunday, June 08, 2008

Brunch



I was going to go out for the expensive brunch I have been eating most Sunday's lately. It isn't ridiculously expensive--it's downright cheap when you think of all you get, including many vegan goodies--but it's certainly more expensive than I could make at home. And, it's fun to break out my cookbooks and make food the way I like, and feed my friends and family.




I didn't make anything new today, unless you count the smoothies, which are slightly different every time I make them. This time they had orange juice, bananas, frozen mixed berries, frozen mangoes, frozen raspberries and a fresh peach. I had forgotten how much I like fruit smoothies--the main point of this offering was to make sure there was at least one thing the children would consume without complaining! I served them in ice cream sundae dishes to make them even more fun.


We also had blue flannel hash from Veganomicon, and the asparagus and sun-dried tomato frittata from Vegan with a Vengeance. I've made both of these recipes before, so I wasn't surprised that they turned out awesome. We had a little bit of veggie bacon brought by my friend, some banana bread with carob chips made by another friend (given to me after she spent the day watching my daughter, which is probably a bit backwards, not that I am complaining!), and some grapes to round out the meal. We had some good conversation about books while we ate, and everyone had a great time. We are definitely going to do this again.


Here is an aerial view of our brunch, picture by my friend Andrea:

















Here is my plate of yummy brunch goodness. See how the stem on the grapes looks like a big preying mantis? (No actual bugs were harmed during the making of this brunch ;-))

No comments: