Thursday, November 11, 2010

Menu for the week of 11/8

I know, this week is more than half over when you consider that I only made a Monday through Friday plan, but I want to document it anyway. I like to look back at old menu plans when I am making new ones, and my usual method of writing the menu on random pieces of paper is not very helpful for this. Plus, I can add notes on what I actually did this way, which is also useful.




Monday: Chickpea Noodle Soup (from Veganomicon), apple cranberry crisp

I was going to make grilled cheese sandwiches with some shredded Daiya cheddar cheese, but I didn’t make it to Whole Foods to get the cheese, so we did without. Also, I added some spinach from the fridge and chopped turnip greens from the garden to the soup. The kids were unimpressed with the addition of the greens, and with the mushrooms called for in the recipe, but I am hoping to wear them down eventually.



Tuesday: Orange Roasted Tofu and Broccoli, brown rice and quinoa, pineapple, roasted butternut squash

I substituted broccoli for the asparagus called for in the recipe (because the kids actually eat broccoli), and added a lot more—two 14 ounce bags of florets. I also doubled the sauce to make sure there was enough. The butternut squash wasn’t on the menu to begin with, but I had gotten a bag of cubed squash from Trader Joe’s to make risotto last week and only used half, and I decided to use it up while it was still good. I just sprinkled it with some cinnamon and nutmeg, sprayed it with some cooking spray and mixed it up a bit, then tossed it in the oven where I was roasting the tofu and broccoli already. The kids liked this, which is fantastic!



Wednesday: Fried rice/quinoa, made with tofu and chopped veggies, plus Island teriyaki sauce

I know, that is two nights of vaguely Chinese tofu and rice dishes in a row. Originally this was supposed to be Thursday’s dinner, but my friend Andrea is coming over tonight, and she will appreciate the original Wednesday menu more than the kids will, so I did a switcheroo.



Thursday: Chilaquiles casserole, hot sauce glazed tempeh, steamed sweet potatoes

I am hoping that if I steam a bunch of sweet potatoes, the kids will take some in their lunches. They actually like sweet potatoes. I am really trying to get more veggies in their lunches, because they cannot eat enough at dinner to cover a full day’s supply, and that is where they eat most of their veggies now. Oh, and I personally am really excited about the hot-sauce glazed tempeh! I am thinking of making a double batch so that I have leftovers for a long time.



Friday: pizza, baby carrots, green smoothies

I don’t think the girl is going to be excited about the green smoothies, but the boy will! And everything goes better with pizza, at least around here.

I haven't really thought through the weekend, but I have plenty of stuff around the house.  I am going to so some more planning this weekend.  I would like to avoid going to the grocery store until payday on the 19th.  I could buy groceries (although not many!), but I want to try to use up what I have and see how creative I can be.  I suspect there will be at least a short trip to the store for fresh fruit and veggies, but I am going to see what I can do with what I have first.

6 comments:

Susan G said...

I love menus! How do you make the hot sauce glazed tempeh?

Susan said...

Thanks! I made a double batch of the recipe in Veganomicon. Basically, you bring a pot of water to a boil and add 2 packages of tempeh, each cut into four triangles (cut in half in the middle, then cut each half diagonally). While you are doing that, put together the marinade: 1 cup wine (I used a Pinot Grigio), 1/2 cup hot sauce (Frank's Red Hot in my case), 1/4 cup olive oil, 6 TBSP lemon juice, 4 cloves garlic, crushed, 2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp oregano and 1 tsp cayenne pepper, whisked together in a bowl that will fit all the tempeh pieces. Add the tempeh to the marinade after it has been in the boiling water for 10 minutes and marinde for at least an hour. I pan-fried th pieces in a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray, spooning extra marinade over the top as they cooked, but they recommend grilling.

Susan said...

Oh, I forgot 1/4 cup soy sauce in the marinade.

Susan G said...

Thanks, that sounds really good! I love Franks's - especially on sweet potatoes with Earth Balance.

Susan said...

Frank's is one of my favorite hot sauces, although I usually have 4 or 5 different hot sauces in my fridge at any given time. I wouldn't have thought to put it on sweet potatoes, though, we usually just have those plain, but I may have to try that...

Hosting barato said...

Thanks for making the honest strive to give an explanation for this. I think very sturdy approximately it and wish to be informed more. If it’s OK, as you