Tuesday, January 02, 2007

I am not as unique as I thought I was...

Here I thought I was coming up with a unique idea, with my Almost Vegan project, but there is another Almost Vegan already out there! I enjoyed this blog, though, and it is nice to see that I am not alone, although it would appear that she has been doing this a lot longer than I have.

So, I have to say that my second biggest concern about almost vegan eating, after eating at other people’s houses, is eating at work. There aren’t a lot of interesting vegan lunch choices at downtown restaurants. They aren’t nonexistent, just harder to find. The other concern is that I want to have a variety of fruits and veggies, and keep it lowfat, which limits my eating out choices even further.

Fortunately, I have been working on bringing my lunch more often for a while now, due to overspending on my children’s Christmas presents. The biggest hurdle is just getting in the habit of making a lunch to bring, at least in my case. So, last night at 10:30 PM when I got back from my parent’s house, I went right into the kitchen and prepared a meal for today. I put applesauce with cinnamon sprinkled on top and split pea soup in little containers, spread a whole wheat tortilla with fat-free refried beans, and made up a container of salsa with a dash of hot sauce for dipping. This morning I grabbed all that, along with a small soy yogurt and a clementine, and I was ready to go! One day into this, and I am off to a good start.

Now, how long can I keep it up? Tonight I will need to make a lunch for my daughter as well, who is cautiously attempting this experiment with me, as long as I make her lunches for her rather than making her do it. This adds a new dimension of complexity, because she is PICKY!

No comments: