Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Skinny Bitch

Copying from my book blog, because it is relevant here:

71. Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin

This was an interesting book on the benefits of the vegan diet. On the one hand, I liked the way they tried to take some of the mainstream stigma away from a vegan diet with their tough-love tone and complete lack of "crunchiness." I don't have a problem with alternative lifestyle stuff, but it was nice to read a book with straightforward, practical reasons for veganism, not the kind of touchy-feely stuff that turns off a lot of people, or strident, disapproving activism. Not that they were shy about talking about the abuse of animals that occurs on factory farms and in slaughterhouses, but they did it in a more informational tone than a condemning one. On the other hand, their use of profanity was gratuitous and over the top. Overall, though, I enjoyed this short book, which had a nice balance of information on why people should change and practical tips to make the change.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I am still having a hard time staying away from eggs, and eating fish does still make it easier to eat out, but I am trying to make sure I am at least not overdoing it. I still try to eat totally vegan for most of the time. Maybe I should cut it all out, but I figure almost vegan is better than not at all vegan. The book was helpful in strengthening my resolve at least somewhat. I was starting to think about how much easier life would be if I could eat at my parents' house (translation, if I ate meat), but I am not thinking about that any more. So, at least it is helping to keep me from sliding any further.

No comments: