Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Not Really a Recipe

I love Trader Joe's! Also, World Market. They make my life easier without making me feel like I am sacrificing healthy eating. Here is my Thai green curry recipe (more directions for assembly, really) using the shortcuts I found at those stores.

Bombay Saffron Rice

2 cups brown basmati rice
4 cups water
2 heaping teaspoons Bombay Saffron Rice Spice (from World Market)

Mix this all together, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until done, about 15-20 minutes.

Thai Green Curry Veggies and Tofu

about 10 ounces firm tofu
1-2 tsp sesame oil
1 package stir-fry veggies from Trader Joe's (includes broccoli, bamboo shoots, onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, water chestnuts, baby corn, baby carrots, and maybe something else I am forgetting)
1 jar Thai green curry sauce from Trader Joe's

Press some of the water out of the tofu and cut into smaller rectangles (about 1 inch x 1/2 inch x 1/4 inch, or whatever size looks good to you). Heat the oil in a skillet and add the tofu pieces. Turn heat to medium and gently fry until tofu is golden; add veggies. I didn't want to add more oil here, so I added about 1/4 cup of water and put a lid on the skillet, and let the veggies cook for 5-10 minutes. Then I poured some of the water off and added the green curry sauce. I put the lid back on and let that simmer another ten minutes or so to meld the flavors and continue cooking the veggies.

This was really good. I need to make a mental note that the girl prefers the green curry sauce that I have gotten at World Market, but overall, the kids ate pretty well. They really like the Bombay Saffron rice, much to my surprise (especially in the girl's case; the boy loves rice almost any way). Fortunately, Trader Joe's and World Market are just a few doors apart in my local shopping area. We will definitely do this again, because it was quick and easy. I was even able to finish up some dishes and make some extra, plain rice so that I could try a banana rice pudding recipe later while this cooked. I love quick meals!

2 comments:

urban vegan said...

I love TJ's too, especially their sauces, which can turn an ordinary, I'm-too-tired-to-cook night into a gourmet meal. I have yet to try their green curry sauce.

We don't have a World Market here in Philly. :(

Susan said...

Yeah, with the two kids and the full-time job, I often don't feel like cooking during the week, but I can't handle veggie chicken nuggets and fries on a regular basis! I like having the option to have something better.